|"Meet the Reaper"|
|Series||Grim & Evil|
|Cartoon Network US Premiere||August 24, 2001|
|Paired with||Skeletons in the Water Closet and Evil Con Carne (episode)|
Evil Con Carne (episode)
Billy and Mandy are two seemingly ordinary kids, who spend their day playing in the safe and normal suburbs of Endsville. Today is the birthday of Billy's hamster Mr. Snuggles, who is ten years old and ready to cash in his chips. The Grim Reaper appears to harvest the pet's soul, but is surprised that Billy and Mandy aren't afraid of him.
Mandy tells Grim she won't let him take Mr. Snuggles. She challenges Grim to a game; whoever wins keeps Mr. Snuggles. Grim accepts, certain of his victory, and adds that if they win, he'll be their best friend forever.
That said, he takes the kids to Limbo, to compete for the life of Mr. Snuggles, over a game of limbo. Grim, not willing to let the children win, begins to cheat. As Grim is about to win, Mandy commands Mr. Snuggles to attack Grim, causing Grim to lose, and become their best friend, much to his chagrin.
- Written by: Maxwell Atoms
- Directed by: Maxwell Atoms
- Animation direction: Robert Alvarez
- Background design: C. Scott Morse
- Being the pilot, thid is the first appearance of Billy, Mandy, Grim and Mr. Snuggles.
- In this episode, the characters all look different from their final designs. They were redesigned for Grim and Evil, again for The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy and one last time for Underfist.
- When the episode is summarized in Billy & Mandy Begins, the original designs were poked fun at, when Grim denies the events of the episode by saying "That didn't even look like us!"
- This episode was made under the name "The Billy and Mandy Show", long before the spin-off was conceived.
- When this episode was shown on the revived Cartoon Planet, the rarely-seen end credits were shown. It was also revealed that this episode was produced under Hanna-Barbera in 1999.
- This makes this the only episode produced under Hanna-Barbera, as well as one of the final Hanna-Barbera productions. By the time the series went to air in 2001, Hanna-Barbera had folded into Cartoon Network Studios.
- The original ending credits played a different (but similar to the Billy & Mandy) end song.
- Billy is the first character to speak in this episode, making him the first character in the franchise to speak.
|The image gallery for Meet the Reaper may be viewed here.|
|Grim & Evil Episodes|| Next:|
Evil Con Carne